What is Dementia?
Dementia is syndrome while Alzheimer’s is a specific disorder that contains dementia. According to alzinfo.org Dementia is “the name for a group of symptoms that make it hard to remember, think clearly, make decisions, or even control your emotions.”
What is Alzheimer’s?
According to alzinfo.org, Alzheimer’s disease is a neurological brain disorder, which causes problems with memory.
Memory Affiliate links
**This page contains affiliate links if you make a purchase DMKbooks gets a small commission.
Video Resource Links
Types of Dementia
Symptoms of Alzheimer’s
- Memory loss that makes it hard to go about life normally.
- Changing plans because they don’t remember
- Trouble solving problems
- Trouble completing familiar tasks.
- Don’t know where they are or what year it is (time and place)
- Difficulty understanding visual info which causes issues with judging distance. This can lead to coordination issues.
- Problems speaking or writing
- Not being able to retrace steps after loosing something.
- Poor judgement
- Leaving work and Social activities.
- Changing personality and mood
- loss of recent memories
- Rambling speech
- Trouble coming up with the right words and using the wrong ones
- A hard time planning or solving problems
- Confusion about time or place. He may get lost in places he’s been before. Once he’s there, he may not know how or why he got to that place.
- Not dressing for the weather
- Getting angry or upset easily, sometimes lashing out at family or caregivers
- Delusions, such as thinking a caregiver is trying to hurt him or her
- Major confusion about what’s in the past and what’s happening now
- Can’t express themselves, remember, or process information
- Problems with swallowing and control of their bladder and bowels
- Weight loss, seizures, skin infections, and other illnesses
- Extreme mood swings
- Seeing, hearing, or feeling things that aren’t really there, called hallucinations
- Can’t move easily on their own
Medical Conditions that Have Similar Symptoms from webmd.
- Memory loss
- Extreme forgetfulness
Causes of Dementia and Alzheimer’s are still being discovered and along with old age certain genes are being found that can cause or trigger Alzheimer’s with age. For more on this click here
Medications: Cholinesterase inhibitors, Memantine and other medications.
Therapies: Occupational Therapy, Environmental modifications, Task simplifications.