Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease is a rare prion brain disease that is fatal to humans. This disease is faster acting than most other kinds of dementia.
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Sub-types
- Sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease,
- Familial Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease,
- Acquired Creutzfeldt- Jakob Disease
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Other Names
Creutzfeldt- Jakob Dementia
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Dementia
Mad Cow Disease
Creutzfeldt- Jakob Disease is diagnosed with
- Spinal tap,
- Protein Misfolding cyclic amplification (PMCA)- which is a technique to identify misfolded proteins.
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease is caused by a prison protein that unfolds into a 3D shape which then gradually makes these protiens in the brain to change shape which damages the brain.
- Medical procedures that insert growth hormone can cause it,
- Meat infected with bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BVE) also known as Mad Cow Disease.
- Many causes of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease are genetic resulting from certain changes in the Chromosome 20 gene coding. Including a protein gene location “codon 129”
- More than 50 variants in the prion protein gene have been identified which increase the likely hood of one developing this disease, according to ALZ.org
Creutzfeldt- Jakob Disease Treatments
No treatments at this time however some symptoms such as pain can be treated by doctors to lesson suffering of patients- Alz.org