Resource Links
Associated Disorders
More Info

Developmental Delay Definition

Developmental delays are marked by deficits in the development of skills in one or more of the following areas when compared to same aged peers. These areas of deficits include: fine motor skills, gross motor skills, intellectual abilities, speech, language, social skills, emotional control, or self-care skills. 

  • Employment Services are through the local department of Vocational Rehabilitation can include: Sheltered workshops, and Accommodations. ​
  • Post Secondary Education Services:  Students can receive accommodations through the Student Access and Disability Services Office of their school. Through this office students can get accommodations such as written notes, extra time on tests, assistive technology, transitional summer programs.
  • Recreation Programs: Talk to your school or disability service provider for disability recreation programs in your area. You can find some general links on the Disability Recreation page. 
  • Independent Living: Independent living is what we strive to help people with disabilities achieve with the proper education and support. You can find resources on our Independent Living page.

Services for People with Disabilities from Birth on

      Developmental Delays are not curable, but individuals with Developmental Delays can lead successful lives with early intervention, education and therapy.

  • Early intervention programs such as Head Start and Easterseals can be the reason that children with Developmental Delays becoming independent adults (for a full list look for early intervention page coming soon). This can mean the difference of the child growing up to live on their own with some supports or living their life in a group home setting. Severity of developmental delays very. Children with severely low IQ’s will need more intensive interventions than children with a mild Developmental Delays and higher IQ.  With early intervention programs families work with therapists and teachers to create a Individualized Family Service Plan or IFSP. For more information go to our Early Intervention Programs page and our Resources by State page.


  • School aged children with Developmental Delays may receive services in school in the mainstream classroom, or a special education room. Services for school aged children are individualized and specified in the child’s Individualized Education Plan or IEP. For resources to help you advocate for your child in IEP meetings check out the IEP resources on the Resources for Parents page.
  • College Students with Developmental Delays. Young adults with Developmental Delays can get post secondary education. Students can receive accommodations through the Student Access and Disability Services Offices of their school. Through this office students can get accommodations such as written notes, extra time on tests, assistive technology, transitional summer programs, and much more. Look into criteria needed for applying such as ACT score.Talk to school about bypassing general studies classes such as foreign language requirements. Disclosing learning or developmental disabilities at the time of application is important to insure that the student will be able to keep up with his or her classmates and explain abnormalities in their application and will help the student get the resources they need. 
    • I personally experienced this when I went to college. I was scared to tell people about my chronic migraine headaches that often made it hard for me to concentrate when I was experiencing them. I also experience severe anxiety and depression which was undiagnosised and untreated until my sophomore year of college. ​I was fortunate that Truman State University had a wonderful Disabilities Services Program and I was able to get a letter stating that if I had a migraine I didn’t have to come to class, and could make up a test if I had a migraine on a test or quiz day. Without these services I would have struggled a lot more in college. I also recommend asking your perspective school about medical leave procedures if you have a medical condition that might at some point make you miss classes or take a semester off.
  • Young adults and Adults with Developmental Delays can receive services through their local disability services organization. Through theses services an adult with disabilities and their caregivers will develop an Individualized Program or IP which will include and IPP or Individualized Program Plan.  A list of resources by state can be found on the Resources by State page